Short Ribs with Sweet Peas

I used to be a very big MEAT eater. Growing up in a Moroccan house meat was just a big part of the menu. It is something I can't really ignore.  If you love the flavor of meat you know how hard it is to resist the smell as it cooks. The aroma in the kitchen is just unforgettable! Today though, raising my kids in my very own kitchen I choose to eliminate meat and chicken or any animal products as much as possible.  And if I already cook meat it has to be GRASS FED. We truly enjoy 95% plant-based meals that are nutritious and extremely satisfying on daily basis! So what goes in the remaining 5%?  In this case Short Ribs!!!

Short ribs are one of the most amazing cuts of meat you can ever have. The longer they cook the softer they get. You can never overcook them! They are rich in flavor and you know they are ready when they literally fall off the bone.  I love meats that cook low and slow. Short ribs are not something I would make on the weekends. It is something to keep for special occasions. If you want to impress someone this is the meat to choose. Now, peas are our favorite cooked vegetables in the house. And meat and peas are just amazing together.  So here you have short ribs with peas that are heaven on a bed of white basmati rice!


  1. The first step is to cook the short ribs. Starting with lots of cold tap water place the ribs in a deep pot. Bring to a boil and cook for two hours on medium-low heat. Remove and transfer to a tray and let cool completely. Best to place in the fridge for an hour or until ready to cook.  (Do not throw the water in your sink or it will clog the drain! Let cool completely, even overnight, and place the accumulated fat in a bag and throw in the garbage, only then continue with the cleaning process.)
  2. Once the ribs have cooled, using a small knife clean the fat all around so you are left mainly with the meat and the bone. Sprinkle salt and pepper.
  3. In a deep pot heat up 2 tbsp oil and sear the ribs on each side until golden brown. (You may skip this step; however, it adds another dimension of color and flavor.) Transfer to a plate and toss almost all the fat. Add the diced onion and celery and mix for a minute or so. Add the peas, mix, arrange the ribs on top, add the spices and water to the point that it reaches the peas.
  4. Bring to a boil, add the tomato paste and cook on medium-low heat until the ribs are almost falling off the bone and the sauce is nice and thick. This process can take an hour or more.
  5. Serve on a bed of white basmati rice.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Download Batel's Best Vegan Beginner Grocery List For Free

Download your free copy today!
I would love to share with you a very special gift. A FREE Ebook! with easy practical life changing recipes that will help you stay fit and healthy.
2018 (C) All rights reserved.