1 big cabbage, cut into 6-8 wedges
Sprinkle of salt, pepper and garlic powder
8 cloves garlic
10 sprigs fresh tyhme
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup sliced almonds
Fresh parsley to garnish
Tahini dressing (see instructions below)
If you've never tried roasing cabbage before, you are totally missing out! This gorgeous roasted cabbage is more than just a simple side dish. In Israel, where I come from, we love serving it as an appetizer. But very often it doesn’t even get to the plate. Once you start eating it, right from the pan, there is no way back. The edges are crispy and crunchy, and the inside layers are soft and creamy. And if you got to the stage that you add the tahini dressing on top, you'll probably taste one of the best things you've eaten in your life!
1). Using a sharp knife, carefully cut the cabbage into 6-8 wedges, depending on the size of the cabbage.
2) Fill up a bowl with lots of water and add all the cabbage wedges inside. Sprinkle a generous amount of kosher salt, and let soak for 10 minutes.
3) Transfer the cabbages to a colander and wash under running water to remain all the salt.
4) Prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Arrange all the cabbages on top and generously sprinkle with salt, pepper, and some garlic powder.
5). Strip some of the fresh thyme and sprinkle it on the cabbages, the rest, leave as is, and add to the center of the pan. Add the garlic cloves as well.
6) Use a brush, or simply drizzle olive oil all over the cabbages and place in a preheated 400 F. Degree oven for about 45- 50 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip once at the middle point.
7) In the meantime, toast the sliced almonds in a dry pan. Keep mixing until fragrant and toasted. Remove from the heat and let cool until ready to use.
For the tahini dejon dressing:
Make your regular tahini dressing
Using 1/3 cup raw tahini 1/3 cup water, add fresh lemon , 1 garlic clove, salt and pepper, and mix until very smooth. Then add 1 tbsp Dejon mustard, and 1 tbsp honey or maple. Add 1 tbsp chopped parsley and mix. Set the dressing aside until ready to use.
Remove the roasted cabbage from the oven and transfer to a serving plate. Serve 1-2 wedges per person on a plate, and add a generous amount of tahini drizzle on top, and garnish with the toasted almonds on top and a sprinkle of chopped parsley.