This is an extremely delicious and healthy dish. Originally it is made with white rice. But I enjoy knowing that I can feed my family with whole grains and protein that is meat free. This is a wonderful meal to serve after a good workout along with a citrusy chopped salad.
1. Chop the onion and heat the pot with the oil. Add the chopped onions and stir few times for about five minutes until translucent.
2. Drain the rice from the soaking water and wash under running water for a few seconds.
3. Add the lentils and rice to the pot along with the salt and pepper and stir.
4. Turn off the flame and carefully add 2 cups of boiling water. Taste for salt and pepper, add the bay leaves and bring to a boil.
5. Once boiling, cover the pot and reduce the flame to the lowest level and cook for exactly 45 minutes.
6. Turn off the flame and leave the pot closed for another 10 minutes.